vin #'s & production date #'s

nohiss <nohiss@...>

Hello to all. I have recently purchased a V700 that's a little confusing. It's titled as a 1966 with a vin # of 1936. It's my understanding that 1967 was the 1st year for this bike. Is there a place I can go to to find the actual production date of this bike? It also has an interesting speedo that I haven't seen before. The speedo reads to 80 mph then says "TOO FAST". What years did they use this speedo? Thanks for your help. Scott

Kevin

This info should be of some help to you.

http://thisoldtractor.com/gtbender/moto_guzzi_loopframe_loop_list.php

I don't think that's a stock speedo. Do you have a picture?

--
A bend in the road is not the end of the road -- unless you fail to make the turn

Charles Mullendore <amboman4@...>

VIN 1936 would put it in the beginning of 1968, have a look here:

"Too Fast" on the speedo sounds like someone's (nagging wife or mother?) idea of personalization - as far as I know Guzzi never marked the face of any in that way. Post a photo somewhere, please.

Charlie
http://www.AntietamClassicCycle.com/
http://midatlanticmotorcycling.wordpress.com/
http://atk604resurrection.wordpress.com/

--- On Sun, 3/11/12, nohiss wrote:

Hello to all.  I have recently purchased a V700 that's a little confusing.  It's titled as a 1966 with a vin # of 1936.  It's my understanding that 1967 was the 1st year for this bike.  Is there a place I can go to to find the actual production date of this bike?  It also has an interesting speedo that I haven't seen before.  The speedo reads to 80 mph then says "TOO FAST".  What years did they use this speedo?  Thanks for your help.  Scott

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    Loopframe_Guzzi-digest@...
    Loopframe_Guzzi-fullfeatured@...

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

scott hiss <nohiss@...>

Thanks for your help.  I posted 3 pics of the bike including one of the speedo on the sight.  Sure looks like it's not modified.
Scott

To: Loopframe_Guzzi@...
From: amboman4@...
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2012 16:48:19 -0700
Subject: Re: [Loopframe_Guzzi] vin #'s & production date

--- On Sun, 3/11/12, nohiss wrote:

Hello to all.  I have recently purchased a V700 that's a little confusing.  It's titled as a 1966 with a vin # of 1936.  It's my understanding that 1967 was the 1st year for this bike.  Is there a place I can go to to find the actual production date of this bike?  It also has an interesting speedo that I haven't seen before.  The speedo reads to 80 mph then says "TOO FAST".  What years did they use this speedo?  Thanks for your help.  Scott

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    Loopframe_Guzzi-digest@...
    Loopframe_Guzzi-fullfeatured@...

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Kevin

I took a look at the pictures. I think someone made a new dial face.

It should look more like this.

http://www.thisoldtractor.com/gtbender/mg_photo_archive/dash_single_gauge/00515.jpg

To: Loopframe_Guzzi@...
From: amboman4@...
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2012 16:48:19 -0700

[...]

Makes for a fun conversation piece.  Thanks

To: Loopframe_Guzzi@...

From: amboman4@...
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2012 16:48:19 -0700

[...]

Rodd

I met the previous owner of that V700 late last year. I believe he bought the bike that way. He didn't own it very long, as he felt it was underpowered two up with his wife on the socal freeways. I remember it starting up and running well. I bought some large calafia bags from him that he was thinking about installing but changed his mind.

scott hiss <nohiss@...>

Sounds like the guy.  Doug Lackey, very nice and easy to deal with.  The bike ran well but was in desperate need of carb syncing which could be the culprit for thinking it was underpowered.  It's a blast to ride out here in the Oregon desert.

To: Loopframe_Guzzi@...
From: guzziguy64@...
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 05:56:04 -0700